The University of Wisconsin-Madison Extension Master Gardener Program supports a network of individuals, known as Master Gardeners, dedicated to horticulture education, service, and lifelong learning. Through University research-based horticulture training, Master Gardeners are equipped to address needs and opportunities in their community and throughout the state.
Training is required to become a Master Gardener. Individuals wanting to become a Wisconsin Master Gardener should participate in a learning opportunity from the Wisconsin Extension Horticulture Program such as a county-based in-person course (limited availability) or sign up for our statewide online Growing and Caring for Plants in Wisconsin: Foundations in Gardening and then must complete the online Master Gardener Onboarding course.
Master Gardener Program Onboarding
Participating in the Master Gardener Program Onboarding course fulfills the requirements of joining the Extension Master Gardener Program in Wisconsin.
MG Onboarding course participants:
- Receive an orientation to the Wisconsin Extension Master Gardener Program, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension.
- Learn the program requirements to be a Wisconsin Extension Master Gardener.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of horticulture with the open book entrance exam.
Learn More/Join the Mailing List
- To learn more about the Growing and Caring for Plants in Wisconsin: Foundations in Gardening course, go to https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/foundations-in-horticulture/.
- For questions about joining the Master Gardener Program, go to https://mastergardener.extension.wisc.edu/get-started/.
- To join the mailing list go to: https://mastergardener.extension.wisc.edu/get-started/. Click on “Join our Mailing List”.
For specific questions about horticulture or Master Gardeners in Eau Claire County, contact the Horticulture Educator, Margaret Murphy at 715-726-7957 or firstname.lastname@example.org.